The French Accent | Original performances of Poulenc, Auric and other French composers
Oboe Classics CC2025
The French Accent is a delightful compilation of varying styles of music by French composers and performers. All the recordings were made between 1928-1958 and have been remastered from 78rpm records.
The focus is on wind instruments – the different combinations of instruments featured include wind quintets, wind trios, and oboe and cello with piano.
It is fascinating to hear these old recordings, many of which were made around the time that they were composed. A mix of legendary performers featured include oboist Pierre Pierlot and The Quintette à Vent Français. For many of the pieces, the performers are those for whom the pieces were originally written. Some are even performed by the composers themselves, including Francis Poulenc, who can be heard on the piano in his Trio. This gives us a great insight into the performance practices of the time and the intentions of the composers.
Composer and pianist Marguerite Roesgen-Champion can be heard giving a spoken introduction to a section of her Pastorale.
The CD includes a 24-page booklet which includes information about the pieces and composers as well as programme notes by oboist Geoffrey Burgess about the context of the music.
“Clean remastering… results in a collection well worth the listening.” Michael Finkelman, The Double Reed (US)
“The overwhelming effect is that of an open door into a distant world of inspired creation, elegant French woodwind playing, and a chance to hear how these pieces were performed at their inception.” Stephen Colburn, The Double Reed (US).
Available to purchase in our London Showrooms and on our website:
A full list of pieces included:
- Francis Poulenc: Trio (written 1926, recorded 1928)
- Ludwig Thuille: Gavotte from the Sextet (written 1887, recorded 1929)
- Georges Auric: Trio (written c.1938, recorded 1938)
- Albert Roussel: Divertissement, op.6 (written 1906, recorded 1955)
- Marguerite Roesgen-Champion: Pastorale (recorded 1936)
- Jacques Hotteterre: Suite/Sonata in D (written 1715, recorded 1950)
- Pierre-Octave Ferroud: Trio (written 1933, recorded 1936)
- Igor Stravinsky: Pastorale (written/arranged 1907/1933, recorded 1933)
- André Jolivet: Sérénade avec hautbois principal (written 1945, recorded 1958)
- Jules Massenet: “La Troyenne regrettant sa patrie”, Les Erinnyes (written 1873, recorded 1931)
Hannah Blumsohn, Oboe Specialist – Howarth of London